The digital world is gigantic. There are tons of ways that anyone can get involved and make their virtual mark. One apparent way to cut yourself a little slice of the digital pie is to start your own blog. Millions of people are setting up their own websites and tapping out their life stories on keyboards.
But why should you start a blog? It seems like so much work to set it up and maintain it once it’s created. Well, though it might seem like a lot of work, there are some benefits to starting a blog. Actually, there are a lot. So many that the reasons not to start a blog seem pretty silly.
What are these reasons? A fine question indeed.
I have a few of them for you. Right here. Beneath these words. Here they are.
7 Reasons to start a blog:
1. It gets you a better job. What better resume builder for a digital media career than maintaining you own website? Think about it; you create and maintain an awesome, creative, eye-catching site. You also produce all the site content. You build your following to hundreds of people and you get thousands of views. What employer in his/her right mind wouldn’t hire you to do the same for them? Blogging allows you to build the skills that will land you a sweet job in the future. Also, according to MediaBistro, nine out of ten employers gather information about potential employees online before making a hire. Just sayin.
2. It sharpens your writing skills. Looking for a job in advertising or marketing? Public relations, perhaps? Maybe you’re an aspiring writer. Well, if you are, then you’re writing and communications skills need to be top-notch. Blogging lets you develop those skills. The only way to improve is to practice, and blogging is the perfect outlet to flex your writing muscle. You even get feedback from fellow bloggers about what you’re doing right and what you could be doing better. Blogging will make you into an inventive, stimulating, polished writer.
3. It sharpens your brain skills. Becoming a blogger means looking at the world around you for ammunition for your next blog post. Creating a blog makes your mind more curious and inquisitive. You start seeing things in a different light and analyzing situations and scenarios that you weren’t examining before. You’ll start to notice things that used to be unapparent. Because you’re using your brain to dissect your surroundings, it gets stronger and more creative. You’ll start accessing parts of your noggin that were once dormant and inactive. My point: blogging makes you smarter.
4. It helps you meet new people. Looking for other people who share the same interests as you? You’re in luck. The blogosphere has lots of people who like the same stuff you do. Starting a blog lets you find those people. Once you find them, you can start conversations about things you love to talk about. You might even gain a new perspective through talking to other bloggers. Blogging lets you expand your network to include other like-minded people.
5. You could get paid. That’s right. You could get paid to operate your blog. If you have a great blog with entertaining content, companies will pay you to advertise on your site. If you’re really, really good, you could get a lot of money. Maybe you’re an entrepreneur. Using a website to market your products is an easy and effective way to do business. You can reach millions of customers across the world by using your blog for promotion. Bottom line – blogging can make money.
6. It’s a stress reliever. If you feel the need to rant about something bothersome or annoying, your blog is waiting for you to post on it. Bust out your laptop, start a new post, and rant away. Go ahead, don’t hold back. You can make your blog public, or you can keep it private. Either way, it’s a great way to get out your feelings on a particular subject. So create a blog. Start killing stress now.
7. It’s fun! The most important reason of all. Your blog should be about something you love. It can be about anything you want. Movies, dogs, food, shoes, religion, or health. There’s no limit to the scope of your website. Regardless of what you choose, it should be something that you enjoy talking about. It should be something that you have fun discussing. So if you’re looking for an entertaining way to pass the time, a blog is where it’s at.
And there you have it. Seven reasons that you should start a blog. I hope you enjoyed this list, and I hope that, if you don’t already have a blog, that you’ll start one. I promise you’ll be glad you did.
Also, this is by no means an exhaustive list of the reasons that you should have your own blog. There are many, many more reasons that you should be blogging. The list could go on, but I don’t have the room to write them all and you don’t have the time to read them all. All you have to do is trust me and create your own website. It’s a decision that you won’t regret.